Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Basement Remodel Code?

"cp" wrote in message

"Jeef" wrote

When did this ridiculous rule get passed?

To be on the conservative side, I'd say it's been this way for at least 25
years.

All new houses have to have 2 stairways from the basement?

NO. Only if the space is used as living space, then there must be other
means of egress. Stairs/windows/door......pick your choice. I believe
windows have to be no more than 4 ft. off the ground, and at least
2'x4'.... I'm sure someone will come along and give the exact sizing, but
that figure is stuck in my head for some reason.