Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Method of rapidly centering regular shaped stock for turning

"Exbrat" wrote: Mac, Here's a link to some pics I've just uploaded
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/wa-woodturning-chat
Hope that gives you a better idea of what I was posting about. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The first thing i noticed was that you are using a 4-jaw machinist's
chuck--the jaws appear to be tapered to a rounded nose. When you adjust it
to act as a guide to center the wood, these jaws should slip nicely over the
wood surface, allowing you to set the thing fior a fairly close fit. Those
of us who use chucks like the One-way have jaws that are curved and
serrated, and I have a hunch the action will not be as smooth.

I have an idea. With the chuck on the lathe, you could mount the wood in
the jaws, and then bring the threaded center punch in from the rear to mark
it. This would require a really long Allen wrench or screw driver. It
would save the step of removing the chuck from the lathe.