Posted to uk.d-i-y
shaqtopz shaqtopz is offline

Default Investigating telephone extension

On Nov 19, 1:36 am, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:39:23 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Yes, and the recieved wisdom is that a filtering faceplate is the best
of all.

But isn't the case here. Bought an XTE2006 on the basis that it got good
reviews and would neaten up the wiring. On my line with my router (ZyXEL)
it was worse by a consistent and significant amount than the plug in BT
badged MF50 microfilter.

As with a lot of things related to ADSL it's suck it and see...

Try some contact spray on what you have first as well.

Unless you are going to use that highly expensive contact stuff(*) you may
as manually clean the contacts (if they are visibly mucky) or just plug
things in and out a few times. Phone and RJ45 contacts wipe very well when
insterted/withdrawn thus keeping the mating surfaces pretty clean.

(*)Stabilant 22. Though I have my doubts that it's cost justifies its
routine use on decent connectors.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Want something that works better than stabilant, try Deoxit and DeoxIT
GOLD. Chemically improves the connections, last a long time, many
convenient applicators and most important, works on moving as well as
stationary connections (under vibration). It is more of a very thin
liquid, then a grease, so it moves with the connection. You do not
even have to apply if to both plugs and sockets. If you can not apply
it to one of them (which is sometimes imposible), it will migrate to
the other metal surface and treat it also. Stuff is amazing AND very
cost effective. Not dirt cheap, but worth every pennie. Been using
it for over 10 years and it sometimes amazes me how well it works.
Go to www.deoxit.com for info.
Mike