Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Hancock Robert Hancock is offline

Default breakers don't trip, electricity out

tysteel wrote:
On Nov 25, 1:41 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Your water heater wiring, while incorrect, has nothing to do with the main
disconnect problem. You are correct that a 4500 watt heater requires a 30
amp circuit and #10 wiring and that a 3500 watt unit would work fine with
the existing wiring and breaker

Thanks for the response. I went back outside and checked the 100
rated amp circuit breaker under the meter, removed the paneling, and
when I switched the breaker off and then on, I noticed that the arcing
(or sparks) is coming from the railing that the circuit breaker plugs
into,....

Sounds like a bad connection between the bus and the breaker. You'll
likely need a new breaker, and quite possibly a new panel as well if the
bus is too badly burnt up. I wouldn't wait on it, that sort of thing is
asking for a fire. The power company will likely have to come out and
pull the meter for that repair..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from