Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Patrick[_3_] Patrick[_3_] is offline

Default Method of rapidly centering regular shaped stock for turning

A pic to ABPW would REALLY be helpful. I'm a newby but I'm having trouble
visualizing what you did here. Thanks for the contribution.

wrote in message
On Nov 26, 1:57 am, "Buddy Matlosz" wrote:
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Gerald Ross" wrote: Somehow I got lost there. Do you have a picture?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I got everything except how you center the work.

Sounds to me like he's talking about a dowel center:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...l%20center&gcl...

...or something similar. Drop one into the center hole in the chuck, then
let the chuck jaws center the workpiece over the point. Tap on the
opposite
end of the workpiece to mark the center. Reverse the workpiece and
repeat.

B.

Buddy, you've got it. (Saves my having to work out how to send a
picture for Gerald) The 'dowel centre' that I made on my metal-working
lathe is the same design as the dowel centres shown in your link, but
the body is threaded (1/2" BSP) to fit into the chuck mounting hole.
The sharp nipple is conically shaped, about 1/8" across at its base.
By giving the workpiece a good tap the conical dent made in the
workpiece is quite sufficient to easily mount the workpiece between
the forked centre in the head stock and the tail stock centre. If you
don't have access to a metal lathe then a bung/plug turned out of
hardwood with a masonary nail in the centre would do. Make the plug
long enough to rest on the work bench (i.e. flush with the chuck
backplate) so it doesn't get knocked through when you hit the
workpiece. To prevent your workpiece pulling the plug out, put a small
shoulder on the bottom of the plug (as opposed to the top as is the
case with the dowel centres mentioned) and insert it via the back of
the chuck. (That's why I threaded my plug). As I mentioned, I'm not up
to speed on posting pictures but I would be happy to email one should
it still be thought useful.

Thanks for your interest in my post.

Exbrat