Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] bmc717@hotmail.com is offline

Default Method of rapidly centering regular shaped stock for turning

On Nov 26, 3:52 pm, (Arch) wrote:
Hi Exbrat, Thanks for offering your method of centering regular shaped
stock. I hope your post will stimulate us to post (and repost because we
often get in a technique rut, plus we forget previous suggestions and
seldom use the archives) our ideas and try other's variations on common
turning methods. Rote is good, but thinking is better.

I thought to try your method to make the tail dimple in small slightly
irregular square stock for centering in a scroll chuck (I'm making lots
of Darrell's icicles).
I haven't tried it, but from my armchair I'd think your method wouldn't
work for spindles smaller than the hole in the chuck body because there
would be nothing to set the dowel pin against. right/wrong?

Thanks again for posting your suggestion.
Keep em coming!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Hi Arch, I don't know what Darrel's icicles are but last week I turned
a couple of dozen legs for doll's house furniture. They were 1/4"
square. The limiting factor is the smallest that the chuck jaws close
down to. Mine close down to about 3/16". Smaller than that would
require jaw shoes/shimming. The plug must of course clear the back of
the jaws to allow them to close that far, which my threaded plug can
do. (I've drilled two holes in the surface of the plug to facilitate
fitting/removal with a vertical peg spanner). If you make a plug that
is not threaded, it must be long enough to protrude out of the back of
the chuck to rest against the work bench that the chuck is lying on to
take the force of the mallet blows - a hammer risks damaging the
indent youv'e just made on the first end unless you are careful. For
irregular but identical cross-sectioned workpieces (e.g. purposely off
centre or rectangular etc.) I use an independent four jawed chuck.

hth Exbrat