Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Method of rapidly centering regular shaped stock for turning

Hi Exbrat, Thanks for offering your method of centering regular shaped
stock. I hope your post will stimulate us to post (and repost because we
often get in a technique rut, plus we forget previous suggestions and
seldom use the archives) our ideas and try other's variations on common
turning methods. Rote is good, but thinking is better.

I thought to try your method to make the tail dimple in small slightly
irregular square stock for centering in a scroll chuck (I'm making lots
of Darrell's icicles).
I haven't tried it, but from my armchair I'd think your method wouldn't
work for spindles smaller than the hole in the chuck body because there
would be nothing to set the dowel pin against. right/wrong?

Thanks again for posting your suggestion.
Keep em coming!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter