Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Your worst project?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 20:33:17 -0600, Ignoramus11731

On 2007-11-25, SteveB wrote:

"Ignoramus11731" wrote
http://www.test-net.com/workshop/day6.html

Mark, of all bad projects mentioned here, yours is the most
spectacular. If anyone has not yet seen the pictures, it is highly
recommended to take a look!!!

It's got my vote. It hurts just to LOOK at the pictures. Musta been some
week.

My condolences to your wife.

Same here. I also appreciate Mark sharing these pictures with us. It
must have hurt!

I think that the feeling after getting that mini-backhoe our of the pit was
one of the biggest rushes of my life. I had been seriously considering
demolishing the garage to allow access for a full size backhoe or 50 ton
crane, but in the end we managed it with a 5 ton Tirfor winch with one end
attached to the axle of the dumper truck. I had buried the wheels of the
dumper in the ground up to axle level to give some traction and was relying on
2 bights of 1/2" rope to break before the axle broke, it did a couple of
times. The sense of relief when the backhoe got out of the mire was
incredible, we were dancing around in extasy. There were pictures, but I lost
them in an un-backed up server crash, That'll teach me.

Only took a day to pressure-wash all of the mud out from the backhoe.

The workshop Is still work in progress. I WILL get the windows done next year
and I will get the three phase wiring done by Christmas. Fed from an invertor,
for now, but eventually from the utility.

I'm now officially famous. I'm on Google Earth and live.com (it's the white
trapezoidal building) :-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&hl...1878&z=19&om=1

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6660&encType=1

If I had my time again I'd still do it. But I'd do it bigger and better :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM