Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

"John Horner" wrote in message

Indeed people show a willingness to pay more for higher perceived quality.
Many folks buy a Honda or Toyota car for more money than the GM, Ford or
Chrysler car in the same segment and pay more for it. They do so because
they believe it is a higher quality product and for the most part their
beliefs are well founded.

I literally looked at a 07 Tundra last afer looking at GMC and Chevrolet. I
have always owned GMC and Chev trucks and had a $6K+ incentive to go with
the GM products again. After driving GM I decided to not buy at all but
went a head and drove the Tundra because I had an appointment to do so. It
was a no brainer to choose the Tundra. The GM products were uncomfortable
amd the rear doors flexed and mooved while going over bumps.

Every year Toyota and Honda add to their US manufacturing base and do so
with great success. Honda and other Japanese companies have taken command
of the small engine and marine engine markets as well.

Most of these outsourcing decisions are made by overpaid MBA graduates who
only care about putting "accomplishments" on their resumes to further pad
the paychecks.

The simple fact is, the US economy is no longer big on manufacturing. It is
no longer as profitable to over pay workers for a skill that 3rd world
countries can do. If they could not do the work we would not be buying
their products. If we want better we buy Japanese or European. Its the
Capitalistic way of doing business.
Until the US can deliver equal value or better the manufacturing jobs will
go to other countries. The manufacturing phase in this U.S. economy has
come and gone and I would imagine a lot of it is because of the large unions
that have negotiated workers benefits so much that the worker benefits more
from the production of products than the business does. It's a no brainer,
have your products built by a company that is not smothered by union labor.