Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Their reputation was made on hand tools, not power, and finish on
their hand tools is better than it was 20 years ago. They see Snap-on
as their competitor in that market and it shows. But even in that
market Craftsman was never "the best", they were what you got if you
couldn't afford Snap-On.

But their open end and box wrenches of 40 years ago were better designed
than the ones today. You could bet better leverage but they cost more to
make.

I wouldn't have said they were anything different that what S-K or Proto
or several others also had available at the same time -- the only
difference was the distribution outlet(s).

As for the "then" and "now" for an open-end Craftsman wrench -- I just
had a need for a replacement of one that was at least that old -- the
new one is identical in form factor--the only difference is the
stamping, etc. I don't ken the complaint...