Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Their reputation was made on hand tools, not power, and finish on
their hand tools is better than it was 20 years ago. They see Snap-on
as their competitor in that market and it shows. But even in that
market Craftsman was never "the best", they were what you got if you
couldn't afford Snap-On.

But their open end and box wrenches of 40 years ago were better designed
than the ones today. You could bet better leverage but they cost more to
make.

I've seen
accusations that the Craftsman Professional tools are cheapened
versions, but I've never seen anyone post side-by-side photos of their
innards that demonstrates this, it's always been vague assertions.

I've heard accusation that Home Depot tools are cheapened compared to the
same DeWalt bough at the local hardware stores also, but I've never seen
proof.