Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default loft hatch

In article , Sam
scribeth thus
Hi,

I would like to replace our loft hatch. I know you can get some ready
assembled plastic ones but I'm not sure about locking them. They seem
to have a plastic latch that you turn through 90 degrees to lock the
door closed. The problem is: how do you reach it to turn it when it's
eight foot high?

I wondered about making my own from wood as the existing one is rather
tatty. At the moment it is a push-up type and I'd like to replace it
with one on hinges to lower down, with a retractable ladder.

Do I use mdf or do I get "real wood" in tongue and groove form and
join that to make a hatch?

I suppose the only problem with sliding the ladder up after use is
that it will squash the insulation.

Is there anything else I need to think about before I start?

TIA.

We've had one of those plastic ones made by the same people who make
Osma drains and stuff.

Pile of cack.. distorts and leaves gaps that the wind whistles through.

Make it from wood with some foam seal round the edges and some sort of
catch to hold it tight in place against the sealing foam..

Shouldn't worry about the ladder squashing a bit of loft insulation!..
--
Tony Sayer