Posted to rec.woodworking
Renata Renata is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:21:22 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

-snip of faux talking points-
Buying American does not guarantee better quality nor does it help the
economy unless we get what we pay for. Paying some one to do a **** poor
job or manufacture a sub par product is bad for the economy.

Then we have the other side of the coin.
Let's take Delta as an example.

Established, long term, excellent reputation for WW machinery.
Happened to be made in USA (vs, say Japan).
Moved production to China.
Quality went to H#LL.

Never was one to buy strictly American, but when American (or Japan,
or Germany,...) had the reputation for the best, that's what I buy.
Now, they keep their premium pricing - for Chinese junk.

This is my big issue - premium pricing remains - production costs waay
down after moving to China; quality inevitably deterioted in some way.

Won't be buying new Delta any time soon. Maybe one day the quality
will be back, the customer service will have some folks who know the
difference between the stationary tools and portable stuff, then can
revisit decision.

Renata