Posted to alt.electronics
Don Kelly Don Kelly is offline

Default How do I hook up a 3 phase generator to run my house

If 208/120 it would be Y -now it could be boosted to 240/138 Y which would
be unusual.
Do you have 120/240V for sure? If so that implies a change in connection.
Without knowing just how the coils are connected it is a puzzle. As far as
what the generator can put out- if it is using two legs of a 120V/208 52A Y
machine then the windings can handle 52A and the capability ias about 10KVA
for single phase use. If it is delta 240 52A then in single phase use the
windings can handle 30A so the capability is 7.2KVA single phase 120/240v As
you don't know stick with the lower limit.
In any case, 208-240 connection is fine for nominal 220 single phase.
Coming off two of the phases is NOT a problem for the pump as it sees only a
single phase applied voltage and doesn't care about the phases of the
individual voltages that may have been added to get this voltage. If it
works and you are happy- don't bother with changes such as connecting the
third terminal to a dummy load.
--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer
wrote in message
On Nov 24, 4:56 am, PeterD wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:59:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Sorry, I missed part of the tag,, it says V 208/120 above the 18/75,
so I guess it would be 7.5, but there isn't a . on the tag. Typo
maybe. So the 240 isn't unusual? and my well pump won't be damaged by
having the power slightly out of phase? Would it be a good idea to get
another breaker box and hook up some of the load to the third leg?
Spread the load? Or do I not need to worry?

"slightly out of phase" ? g

This could get confusing, as at least from my point of view, I can't
tell if it is out of phase or not. Depends (like the previous posts
say) whether it is wired delta or wye. If delta and that is tapped
then it is not out of phase. If wye, and you are using two of the
phases, then things could get bad. Depends on the pump.

Were this me, I'd perhaps put a scope on the outputs and view the
phase angles that way (there may be better ways, but that's what would
be easy for me to do). If they are truely out of phase, I'd check with
the maker of the pump motor to see what they recommend.

(The 120/240 implies that they are in phase to me...)

I think you are correct. I don't have a scope, but will just keep
going like I am and if I have problems, will replace the motor. The
fact that it is 240 and not 208 is what threw me for a loop...this is
the way it was from the factory, so What I probably have is a
generator that if hooked up completely would be 22.5 kw three phase
but they hooked it up delta and only used two of the three so made a
workable ,, well, would I call it a two phase? Or single phase? I
don't know. Just know it is working great and so I won't mess with it
much.