Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message

The question is, does that extra quality translate into additional
capacity for the tool, does it actually work that much better than an
"inferior" tool to make it worth the additional cost. There comes a
point where miniscule improvements only come at a much more than
miniscule cost. Does it really matter if your table saw top is flat
within a billionth of an inch? Is it worth an extra 20% to get it
that flat?

Most people would say no.

The hard part is finding out exactly where that point is on the curve. Yes,
I'm willing to pay more for accuracy. For 20% more, it had better be
noticeable. At 10%, it had better be useable. At 5%, there is a certain
satisfaction knowing the tool is capable when needed, even if never needed
to that accuracy. If I can spot the differences at ten paces, it is worth
the extra. If I need an electron microscope, to tell the difference, I'll
pay something less of a difference.

While tools made in China is the question here, the same set of rules
applies to other purchases as well, even made in the USA versus made in the
USA. Most everything is engineered to be barely acceptable in the name of
lower price and/or more profit. Would I pay more for a Delta made here? I
did buy a hose reel for the garden this year and paid $179 if that helps
answer your question. Last one I'll ever have to buy and it works great
http://www.rapidreel.com/