Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:53:43 -0600, dpb wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

... How many people are willing to spend $xxx more for brand D
knowing they have superior quality of a machine built by experienced
craftsmen?

Not nearly enough, apparently...

and that's where you are wrong. My business was growing at a
reasonable rate each year. The operation was extraordinarily
profitable from a return on sales and return on invested capital
basis. The decision was made purely to try to squeeze out a little
more profit.

I'm not going to quote direct figures but the volume of business is
signifcantly off as a result of the strategy.

I think we may have discussed this before. Did the market demand the
switch or did the corporate hacks just listen to their consultants and
believe their BS about "conversion costs" etc? It was the latter not
the former in my case. The customers for my product left *after* the
move, not before.

There will always be a segment of the market that wants high quality
and is willing to pay a reasonable amount more for that quality. If
they can find it.

Frank