Posted to rec.woodworking
John Horner John Horner is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Brian Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:50:17 GMT, John Horner
wrote:

Where to the rest of you sit with this question?

I couldn't care less, I buy for quality and price, if it does what I
need it to do at a price I'm willing to pay, I buy it. The U.S. needs
to be able to compete in a world market, artificially picking inferior
tools at higher prices just because of where they were put together is
foolish.

Certainly I wouldn't buy an inferior product just because of it's
country of manufacture, but there is also more to life than cheapness.

I don't want to live in a country which sinks to China's level in
environmental policies, lack of labor protection and government enforced
one-child-per-woman laws. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong
with forcing women to have abortions if they are about to have an
unauthorized second child?

I'm all for commercial competitiveness, but it is not possible to
compete price wise with a competitor who has a much lower set of safety,
environmental, intellectual property and human rights standards.

John