Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 22, 11:50 pm, John Horner wrote:
Over the years I have sometimes been a Buy US only tool buyer and
sometimes a whatever is cheapest that I think will do the job buyer
and just about everything in-between. Many years ago I was ashamed
that I had bought some no name Japanese combination wrenches, but
guess what, they are still good wrenches 30+ years after they were
guilty bargain.

Presently I'm avoiding anything Made in China as much for
geo-political reasons as anything else. That and it saves me time
not even having to look at the Harbor Freight or Grizzly catalogs
.

Where to the rest of you sit with this question?

That is both a simple and a very complex question. Loyalties to
certain manufacturers/countries(of origin) only go so far. Sometimes
adequate is good enough and it doesn't always have to be the 'best'.
In my line of work, certain equipment MUST give me consistent
results
and be absolutely reliable.
In my shop, you'll find a Milwaukee jigsaw made in Germany. A Ridgid
sander made in Germany. A German Fein vacuum made in Italy...and
then
there is stuff 'assembled' in the USA.
My questions are usually the same: will it do the job? Is there a
warranty? Can I fix this myself, assuming I can get parts?

If everything else is close to equal, I will try to buy North
American/ European in that order.
The exceptions are many as there are 'niche' tools that certain
manufacturers seem to do 'just better'.

And then there are Japanese handsaws, that _nobody_ does like the
Japanese.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)