Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

"John Horner" wrote in message
Over the years I have sometimes been a Buy US only tool buyer and
sometimes a whatever is cheapest that I think will do the job buyer and
just about everything in-between. Many years ago I was ashamed that I had
bought some no name Japanese combination wrenches, but guess what, they
are still good wrenches 30+ years after they were a guilty bargain.

Presently I'm avoiding anything Made in China as much for geo-political
reasons as anything else. That and it saves me time not even having to
look at the Harbor Freight or Grizzly catalogs .

Where to the rest of you sit with this question?

Well American would be better for this country, the U.S., but unfortunately
we have this large group that wants to make every one feel good with no one
left behind. They believe that regardless of your productivity you should
be paid equally. Because we have had to lower the standards and
expectations so that many will be automatically raised to "par" we get poor
to average quality for top dollar pricing. Those of us that still believe
that you should get what you pay for buy from other countries. Lowering the
expectations of others productivity while lowering our expectations of that
group is good for no one. It simply does not work.
Buying American does not guarantee better quality nor does it help the
economy unless we get what we pay for. Paying some one to do a **** poor
job or manufacture a sub par product is bad for the economy.