Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Woehl Roger  Woehl is offline

Default Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Personally, I try to buy the best quality tool regardless of its place of
manufacture. Having said that, I have compared Chinese made products (often
knock off repicas) to the same functional products manufactured in the US,
Japan, Germany, Canada, and Taiwan. I have yet to find a Chinese product
equal in craftsmanship to those in these other countries. If I was only
interested in cost, I could often have saved anywhere from 30%-50% of the
cost of the better product. I look at my shop as something that I am
equipping for the next 30+ years and I don't want to be replacing broken or
malfunctioning equipment because I tried to save a few bucks.

Roger

Roger
"John Horner" wrote in message
Over the years I have sometimes been a Buy US only tool buyer and
sometimes a whatever is cheapest that I think will do the job buyer and
just about everything in-between. Many years ago I was ashamed that I had
bought some no name Japanese combination wrenches, but guess what, they
are still good wrenches 30+ years after they were a guilty bargain.

Presently I'm avoiding anything Made in China as much for geo-political
reasons as anything else. That and it saves me time not even having to
look at the Harbor Freight or Grizzly catalogs .

Where to the rest of you sit with this question?