Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Very Bizarre House Mystery

Norminn wrote:
dpb wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

Those videos depict exactly what I would expect. It looks
a much smaller piece of wood and it travelled just a few
feet.

The OP's scenario involved what I think was a much larger
piece of wood. And the distance involved was hugely greater.

Yes, it was larger in length, but narrow, like a spear. I could not
find the photo, but I've seen pieces even thicker through garage
doors. 108 mph is pretty fast for a spear.

The "unusualness" here is the apparent distance and the length of the
piece. While narrow, as I've mentioned earlier, it isn't symmetric
nor balanced like a spear or a rocket making _keeping_ it going once
it got started quite a trick. The entrance velocity being sufficient
after the traveled distance is a neat trick. Would need to see the
whole area in context to have any chance at all of figuring out what
actually happened. It's never been amplified that I'm aware, but I'd
kinda' lean towards the scenario being the work was going on at second
floor or eave height so it was actually falling most of the way after
launch even though above grade where it fell. But that's purely
conjecture. Try even through a piece of moulding like that as a
javelin -- it isn't real easy to keep it from going sideways and then
air resistance knocks it down very quickly. I still wonder if the
whole thing isn't faked/hoax, frankly, even though the OP claims not...

--

But they would not be using the molding until the house (assumed) was
closed in. ...

Maybe, but not necessarily -- could be under a soffit or similar. I'd
also give real credence to a workstation set up on an exterior deck even
for interior trim work...

The kids trick is also a possibility, but once OP indicated this was an
upper-level addition to the house which is also on an upward slope, the
likelihood that it came down from over there became much, much higher in
my estimation. That it is also an occupied house being remodeled cuts
down the kids theory I think (unless their the neighbors' own, maybe?)
'cause they would have had to had access to the house I think to get
high enough to launch.

Anyway, it's all too much conjecture as OP seems to only throw out a few
ancillary tidbits now and then rather than trying to fully lay out the
overall situation at the git-go if he were really interested in trying
to get to the bottom of the incident.

Again, imo and it's all worth everything anyone has paid...and, man! I'm
hard up for something entertaining for the day...