Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Update on wire brushing

Prometheus wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:11:33 GMT, Winston
wrote:

beecrofter wrote:

On Nov 16, 9:24 am, Ignoramus11967 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11967.invalid wrote:

(...)

FWIW those blocks of abrasive used to clean a diamond wheel do a bang
up job of "sharpening" a wire wheel and making it cut better.

That makes me wonder if I ran the wire wheel in reverse against one of
those blocks, would I get a 'sharper' wire wheel?

I don't usually bother with something so simple, but for one reason or
another I read the instructions on the last wire wheel I bought, and
they suggested flipping the wheel every so often to take advantage of
the "self-sharpening" action. Seems sensible enough to me.

And another FWIW- rather than taking up a side on my grinder, I've
found that sticking the wire wheel (and buffing wheels) on an arbor
and mounting in a jacob's chuck on the (wood) lathe works pretty well.
Gotta have a lathe to do that, but it leads to some very useful
things, especially if you're cleaning or buffing large parts, and can
use the tool rest for support.

Also, I use my drill press with wire or buffing wheels on an arbor.
If I am careful to prevent the wheel from grabbing the near edge of an
object, I can get a good look at what I'm doing (with suitable face
protection of course).

--Winston