Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SONY KE-42M1 Plasma problem

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message news
We do feel this won't last forever. Who knows where this business
will be in five years? We've always adapted before, though...

In an ideal world, the failure rate would decline as the manufacturers learn
how to make a more-reliable product. The "ideal" failure rate is one low
enough to keep the customers happy, but high enough to keep you in business.

Sony used to have a factory service store outside Seattle, but it closed a
few years ago. I found a group of "rebel" Sony techs in Kansas who do a
bang-up job on "obsolete" Sony products.

Some of the newer brands are really hurting for servicers right now,
like Insignia, Vizio, Sylvania, etc. We just haven't the manpower to
add these lines. You can't hire just anybody and put them out there
on service calls.

It helps to have a BS EE. But the difference between a competent service
tech and an excellent one is experience. And it seems there are fewer and
fewer people with that experience.