Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SONY KE-42M1 Plasma problem

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 6:26 am, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

"jango2" wrote in message
While most servicing is done that way, it's certainly not the "only"
way
do it. I've heard quite a few reports right here in this group of
people
doing component level service on flat panel sets.

Bang on ! I may take 15 days to fix an lcd or plasma but i'm doing it
component level.
Some of the faults i've seen:
100k chip resistors that measure 100 k with a meter but measure
lower in circuit when powered up causing SOS ...power trip.
Broken track from one controller going to another , that too mid
layer in the pcb.
Dry electrolytics , thats a normal one.
Busted MOSFETS
Defective panel blowing precious panel driver ics and a hole
in my wallet
Bad optocouplers in PS

I love the fact that most authorised service centres are strictly
prohibitted from carrying out chip level repairs. Gives us a
competitive edge. Better pricing and quicker delivery. They have
to wait 6 weeks for those boards.

I admire someone with the patience to track down these problems to the
component level. I enjoy servicing equipment, but I don't have quite
that
much patience.

We most often get the boards the next day. We're a Sony SES warranty
center,
and they really get those things out fast. 2nd day air is standard
shipping,
but since we're only about 200 miles from Kansas City we still usually
get
them the next day, at no charge for freight.
Out-of warranty repairs will be a problem down the road however.

The rush-rush nature of warranty repairs means we wouldn't have time for
component-level troubleshooting of plasma or lcd in most cases. We're
required to get those things done fast. Even extended warranty companies
are really pressing us on the time issues. Sometimes it is necessary to
order all the boards and return the ones that didn't fix it. Panels take
longer though, since they come by freight carrier and not DHL or UPS.

Still mostly component level for audio repairs however...

Mark Z.

PMFJI, but I am curious: years ago I worked for a "factory authorized"
service center, where we performed warranty repairs for many major
brand names.

We found that most of the time, the hourly rates the manufacturers
paid for warranty repairs were ridiculously low. Most of the time,
the overall effect of providing warranty service on the repair shop's
financials was a loss.

So providing factory service *cost* us money. We only did it because
we were privately owned by one individual who also owned and ran a
huge, mid- to upscale electronics store - he maintained the service
department as a sales tool.

I'm wondering, have things changed? Or does providing warranty
service still represent a loss?

Some companies' warranty rates are way too low, I agree. However many
companies will negotiate rates, and very often you don't get the extended
warranty work unless you are authorized for that brand.

I don't even remember our exact deal with Sony - it has evolved over time -
but we get extra being an SES level servicer, extra when repairs are done
within a certain time, extra mileage, and a 50.00 bonus if the customer
returns a positive survey card. It's a really big commitment though, and if
a shop didn't manage everything right the monthly parts cost etc would kill
them. We probably buy ten to twelve thousand dollars a month from Sony.
Those light engines really add up. It's also crucial to keep up on the core
returns.

Extended warranties we usually get cost plus 15 to 25 percent on parts,
250.00 labor, 75.00 service call plus mileage. And there are LOTS of these
repairs right now.

On the audio side, we get negotiated rates of 85.00 major on Denon surround
models, and Yamaha we get double their standard rate for any job requiring
actual troubleshooting etc with just a phone call for approval. It's the
Sony jobs that are really fueling our success right now. Seems Samsung is
almost a wash, although we are looking at ways to optimize this as well.

We do feel this won't last forever. Who knows where this business will be in
five years? We've always adapted before, though...

Being authorized for a given brand gets you access to their service
literature, usually at no yearly cost if you are a higher level servicer,
especially if the manuals etc are in electronic form, PDF's etc.

Some of the newer brands are really hurting for servicers right now, like
Insignia, Vizio, Sylvania, etc. We just haven't the manpower to add these
lines. You can't hire just anybody and put them out there on service calls.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message news
We do feel this won't last forever. Who knows where this business
will be in five years? We've always adapted before, though...

In an ideal world, the failure rate would decline as the manufacturers learn
how to make a more-reliable product. The "ideal" failure rate is one low
enough to keep the customers happy, but high enough to keep you in business.

Sony used to have a factory service store outside Seattle, but it closed a
few years ago. I found a group of "rebel" Sony techs in Kansas who do a
bang-up job on "obsolete" Sony products.

Some of the newer brands are really hurting for servicers right now,
like Insignia, Vizio, Sylvania, etc. We just haven't the manpower to
add these lines. You can't hire just anybody and put them out there
on service calls.

It helps to have a BS EE. But the difference between a competent service
tech and an excellent one is experience. And it seems there are fewer and
fewer people with that experience.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message news

Sony used to have a factory service store outside Seattle, but it closed a
few years ago. I found a group of "rebel" Sony techs in Kansas who do a
bang-up job on "obsolete" Sony products.

I wonder who that would be. Could be my shop or one other in Wichita? Or
are they up in Kansas City?

Wouldn't call us "rebels" but we have one guy who's been doing Sony since
almost day one.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jango2" wrote in message
[...]

Those labor rates sound far better than what I remember - but then,
that was many years ago, and I have been away from that business for a
very long time and have no idea what it's like to run a shop nowadays.

If I may: has there been a tendency towards board-level replacement
repairs and away from component troubleshooting/replacement? Does one
approach dominate for warranty vs. non-warranty repairs?

I recently had a power supply board fail in my 14 month-old Panasonic
50" plasma. Thankfully, we had an extended warranty, because the
technician told me: 1) Panasonic does not support component-level
repairs for this TV, and 2) the board would've cost me $700 plus
labor. I'd hate to be in position where I wanted to fix a set, knew
which $2.75 part I needed, but couldn't get it, and had to buy an
entire board.

Plus, I always wonder about the case where one board blows out
another, a technician replaces the blown board (assuming he has no way
to determine anything else is wrong) and it immediately fries too.
Who absorbs the cost? In my day it would've been the shop. We could
eat these misfortunes when dealing with $20 worth of semiconductors,
but a $700 board...

Thanks for the reply.

SONY KE-42M1 Plasma problem Mr. Land Electronics Repair 0 November 21st 07 08:41 PM
SONY KE-42M1 Plasma problem Max Electronics Repair 7 November 21st 07 04:29 PM
Sony PFM-510A1WU Plasma Problem Buster Lynn Electronics Repair 1 September 10th 05 05:38 PM
Sony Plasma Ken G. Electronics Repair 1 February 6th 05 07:24 PM
SONY PLASMA PROBLEM FUTURETECH Electronics Repair 2 November 6th 04 07:05 AM