Posted to rec.woodworking
Skip Williams Skip Williams is offline

Default OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

Lew,

Plus the added advantage of "no moving parts' g

Less than he would spend on a auto start generator (yeah...right!), auto
transfer switch, etc. that would all work flawlessly while he was away.

Me..I would gamble on the solar thing firstg

Skip
www.ShopFileR.com

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Somebody wrote:

I wonder if a solar or wind powered charger would be sufficient for
the battery backup on the sump pump.

NBD

80W solar panels are less than $500.

T-105, 6VDC, golf cart batteries are less than $65.

A small inverter is less than $500.

Assume the sump pump requires 2A and operates on a 50% duty cycle
which would require 240W/hour.

I use 50% efficiency of solar cells for estimating, thus (80W)50% =
40W.

240W/40W = 6 panels or about $3,000.

T-105 are rated about 235AH.

If you cycle them between 70%-90%, they provide about 47AH/pair at
12VDC.

240W/47AH = 5 sets of batteries minimum, I'd probably use 6 sets or 12
batteries,
thus (12)$65)=$780

Batteries..................$800
Misc hardware.........$500

Use $5000 as an estimate to achieve total independance from an
unreliable supplier.

Lew