Posted to rec.woodworking
Skip Williams Skip Williams is offline

Default OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

Kenneth,

I wonder if an RV heater(s) would fit your needs. These are designed to run
on propane and have a 12v electrical system. You could use batteries
recharged with solar cells to keep the batteries going. The heater dosent
have to keep the place toasty warm...just above 32 degrees most of the time.

Skip
www.ShopFileR.com

"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:35:32 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

Yes, this is OT, but you folks seem to know everything...g

I need to get an automatic backup generator, but my needs
are unusual:

The fully automatic units I can locate are all in the range
of 7000KW.

I need something on the order of 5-10KW. So, compared to the
"standard" residential backup unit, the one I am looking for
is really tiny. But, anything over that (approximate)
capacity would just be money wasted.

Might any of you suggest sources for such a small (but fully
automatic) generator?

Very sincere thanks,

Not sure about the automatic part, but Honda might have the answers.
They make damn good generators:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gencon.asp

Also, I saw a water powered sump pump as backup on "This Old House"
several months ago. The house water supply pressure drove the thing
when the power was out for the regular sump pump. Wouldn't solve the
fan issue though - I'm guessing you're trying to prevent a possible
freezing problem? Do a google on "water powered sump pump" and you'll
get lots of sources.

Hi Doug,

Yes, freezing is (half) the issue.

I have a second (unused) flue in our chimney and could
easily install a gas heater using it, but...

It is my understanding that those heaters must have
electricity (to run the fan).

The water powered sump pump confuses me though:

If we had an extended outage, we would not have any water
pressure (or at least would not have it for very long.)

If I had electricity to pressurize our water supply, I would
just use it to power the pump I now have (unless I am
misinterpreting your comment about water pressure.)

You will see other issues elsewhere in the thread.

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth