Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

Kenneth wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:51:38 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:39:47 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

Howdy,

Yes, this is OT, but you folks seem to know everything...g

I need to get an automatic backup generator, but my needs
are unusual:

The fully automatic units I can locate are all in the range
of 7000KW.

I need something on the order of 5-10KW. So, compared to the
"standard" residential backup unit, the one I am looking for
is really tiny. But, anything over that (approximate)
capacity would just be money wasted.

Might any of you suggest sources for such a small (but fully
automatic) generator?

Very sincere thanks,

I researched this problem when we were living with a generator..
Most places suggested a Honda 5000 and optional control panel.. a
lot of bucks, but a sweet unit..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hi Mac,

Am I correct that the unit you mention is not automatic?
That is, it would not start on its own in the event of an
outage.

I think your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get a 7KW
Guardian or the like.

You can get one of those for about $2200 and shipping and
installation. The lowest I can find a UL approved automatic transfer
switch switch and an electric-start portable for is aroune $1500 and
then you're going to have to rig a fuel supply and whatnot and by the
time you're done you'll likely be back up to that $2200.

The killers are the need for electric start so the thing can start
automatically and for a UL approved transfer switch. You just don't
find electric start on very small generators--in the low capacities
they're made to be portable and adding electric start adds weight that
reduces portability.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)