Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

In article , wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:52:09 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote Re 220 volt to 110 volt:

Yes, it is -- and you've made the same mistake that Steve did.

What mistake is that? Believing what the OP said? You may know
electricity, but Steve's "English language interpretation" of the
original post is correct. I'd say it's up to the OP to come back and
say, oops, I don't have a neutral, rather than you making that
assumption. No matter how reasonable and logical you think that
assumption is, it's one that absolutely contradicts the statements made
by the OP.

Well said and completely correct.

Well said, yes, but completely INcorrect. In no way does it contradict any
statements made by the OP. The OP *assumes* that he has a neutral; he never
said that he verified that. Since he has a 240V motor circuit, it is
overwhelmingly unlikely that his assumption is correct.

Doug, since you like to always have the last word, please fill in
below why you have better knowledge of what the OP is looking at than
he does. Don't be shy, the credibility of you language skills is at
stake.

This has nothing to do with my having the "last word" since I'm sure that it
won't be, and everything to do with correcting a persistent misunderstanding.

I'll try to put this as simply and plainly as I can.

In North America, at least, 240V motors do not have a neutral. Circuits
supplying such motors are normally installed without a neutral conductor. The
OP has a 240V motor circuit. The probability is very high that there is not a
neutral conductor present in that circuit.

The fact that the OP asked the question he did suggests very strongly that he
does *not*, in fact, know what he's looking at -- indeed, there isn't anything
in the original post to indicate that he has actually looked at it at all yet.

--
Regards,