Posted to alt.home.repair
Deano Deano is offline

Default Connecting a dishwasher to washing machine plumbing

OK, here's what I've done so far:

--built a simple cabinet for the dishwasher between the refrigerator
and washing machine.

--Thought about reducing the 2 in. washer drainage line down to
accomodate a standard diswasher "tee" but was concerned that this
could cause problems.

--instead, cut the nipple off the tee and drilled a 7/8 inch hole in
the drainpipe about a foot above the floor. Epoxied in the
nipple...and tested, seems tight.

--the feedline is a tiny tube with compression fittings, I have to
get a longer tube but will do so today and will epoxy it inside the
1/2 cpvc tube from the hot water line.

--biggest problem is getting the thing level in an extremely tilted
kitchen floor....our houses are all 1880's vintage .

Thank God for epoxy. I'll still advise the tenant not to use the
washer and dishwasher simultaneously anyway.

Deano in Cincinnati

On Nov 15, 3:45�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 15, 2:18 pm, Deano wrote:

� K, here's the set up...regular PVC vertical washer disposal line
about 38" high. �

As I said in my previous post, �I don't know if the pump on a DW is
strong enough to move the waste water much farther than the length of
the supplied hose, and I'd certainly be suprised if it could lift it
higher than the DW if that's where the top of the washing machine
standpipe is. You need to call the manufacturer on that one.

The hot water feed is a cold/hot cpvc 1/2" i.d., 5/8" od
nipple attached to a shut off valve on the washer line. �I can stick
the flexible discharge tubing up in to the washer disposal line but
the feed on thedishwasheris not 5/8" to fit the cpcv line...I do not
know how to jerry-rig this.

Any plumbing supply house, including the borgs, should have all sorts
of reducers and fittings to convert whatever you have to whatever you
need. You might even be able to cut the washer line and replace the
fitting with one that fits your DW.

BTW...I'm still a little confused as to whether a washer is hooked up
to this feed or not. �Perhaps a photo or 2 would help.