Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

In article , CJT wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , CJT wrote:

wrote:

Nobody asked you the most important question. Is your pump motor
240/120 convertible? Most are with a simple swap of a jumper under the
bell cap. The next question is, what does it draw at 120v?
Generally speaking I would say you can do this if it is 1HP or less.
Probably not if it is 1.5HP. I bet you have 14ga wire going out there
(15a). This will need to be GFCI protected.

I can't imagine why he would want to switch it from 240 to 120.

So that he won't have to pull a new cable, of course.

There is that, but he'd probably have to pull one anyway to handle
twice the current.

Depends entirely on the size of the motor (as noted in gfretwell's post
above). If it's 1HP or less, he almost certainly does *not* need to pull
heavier cable.

--
Regards,