Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV

On Nov 20, 7:51 pm, clifto wrote:
Dave Martindale wrote:
Which analog channels are you referring to? There won't be any
over-the-air analog channels, but there may still be analog channels on
cable. The cable system already receives those broadcasts and
translates them to a different frequency for retransmission on cable.
All they have to do to continue distributing those channels in analog is
receive them with a digital receiver, then feed it to an analog TV
modulator for distribution.

I believe the Congress has specifically prohibited that.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6295306.html

--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

Well, it sure looks like you guys are right. The article referenced
doesn't say if the bill was signed into law by Bush, but assuming it
was and nothing has changed since, then it looks like analog over
cable is kaput in Feb 09.

It's amazing the politics and God knows what else factors into this.
And surprisingly, it's the broadcasters that insisted on this, not the
cable companies? Makes no sense to me. It would seem if the cable
companies wanted to take the digital signals and rebroadcast them as
analog to keep people happy and watching, that the broadcasters would
benefit. I really don't understand why broadcasters have a beef with
cable continuing to supply analog.

Looks like bottom line is if you have any sets using analog cable
without a cable box, you're going to have to get one in another year.