Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

"Kenneth" wrote:

Hi again,

Indeed, my numbers were all screwed up... 'sorry.

I need to drive only a sump pump, and a small fan in a
direct vent gas heater. The units I have seen are in the 7KW
range, and I need a small fraction of that.

Forget the automatic transfer part of you spec.

An automatic transfer switch will cost more that the engine-generator
set alone.

Based on the loads above, you will have time to start eng-gen before
the world ends.

Since this is for infrequent use, consider a 10HP-5KW, "Contractor"
generator.

Noisy as all get out but biggest bang for the $, for a short time
application (8-10 hours at a time).

Lew