Posted to rec.woodworking
NoOne N Particular NoOne N Particular is offline

Default Question for you Varathane users

Hi all,

I am applying Varathane Diamond Polyurethane to some goblets that I just
turned. This is the water based version and is NOT the Varathane
Diamond Wood Finish that is oil based. I am using this product because
someone recommended it for a finish that doesn't change the color of the
wood much, seals the wood so the goblets can be used, is relatively
tough, and is pretty much tasteless. It is supposed to be a high gloss,
but I haven't got that far yet.

My problem is that apparently this stuff does no self-leveling at all.
No matter what I do I can see brush strokes. I have tried putting it on
as thin as I can, and as thick as I can without allowing it to run. The
brush I am using is one of my wife's very fine synthetic bristle (as
recommended on the can) watercolor artist brushes (well the can doesn't
say ARTIST brushes but it does say synthetic bristle), and I still see
every single brush mark. I have to sand the goblets back to smooth
again and apply another coat, but every time I sand I have to take it
back to mostly bare wood to get it smooth again. So far I have tried 4
coats and am basically starting over each time I apply it. Anyone have
any tips on eliminating the brush marks?

I have also tried the Varathane Diamond Wood Finish (this is the oil
based product) on some scrap wood, and it changes the color of the wood
too much for me. Darkens, and some yellowing that I want to avoid. I
have also tried Minwax Wipe on Poly and it yellows too much too, but at
least it is smooth. I am going to experiment on a scrap piece and see
what happens when I put the oil based product on top of the water based
product. If I like what I see, do you think there will be any problems
in the future with adhesion, etc?

TIA,

Wayne