Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall Dave Hall is offline

Default OT- Small - Automatic - Generators...?

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:04:55 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

I need something on the order of 5-10KW. So, compared to the
"standard" residential backup unit, the one I am looking for
is really tiny. But, anything over that (approximate)
capacity would just be money wasted.

Actually, 5 to 10 KW *is* a standard residential backup unit.
7000KW is high-end industrial size.

Might any of you suggest sources for such a small (but fully
automatic) generator?

http://www.generac.com/Products/Resi...ooled/7KW.aspx

Hello again,

Hey, lighten up... I was only off by a factor of 1000...BG

The units I have seen are in the range of 7KW, and I need
something on the order of 10-20% of that.

Thanks,

It would seem that the switching equipment required would far outweigh
the generator cost. Were you looking for natural gas? I would think
that would be hard to find in that size as would something with a
large enough fuel tank to make this an extended use item.

Not fully knowing your issue I would suggest considering a battery
system sized to run your items for the immediate term (a few hours at
best) supported with a standard portable generator that you would have
plenty of time to set up in the event of a power outage. However, if
this is for something that you are going to be absent from for days on
end this isn't going to be an answer, but neither is a non-natural gas
generator. If the battery system backed by a generator seems like a
possibility, then you might take it further and look into whether
capacitor banks exist that will run the pump and fan for the immediate
term (2 to 3 hours maybe?). I don't know if they make those for a
residential purpose, but I know that where I work we installed a
capacitor bank to run all of the site lighting (many street lights and
pole lights) for emergency egress of an 8,000 person stadium as it was
less expensive than a hard piped generator sufficeient for the same
use.