Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

On Nov 20, 1:52 pm, wrote:
On Nov 20, 11:37 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , TimR wrote:

While several people have pointed out you should never use a safety
ground as a return, the OP did not say that. He uses the word common,
a term sometimes still used for neutral. He therefore may or may not
have a safe way to do this. He says common wire AND ground wire,
implying he has both available.

Or he may simply be unaware that 240V circuits don't have a neutral, leading
him to think he has one when he really doesn't.

--
Regards,

Being a 240V line to a pool pump, this raises another issue. Where
is the GFCI? If it's in the panel, then he needs one that will
accommodate both 240V and drawing 120V on the same circuit. Some GFCI
are strictly 240V and if you unbalance it by drawing 120V from one leg
to neutral, it will trip.- Hide quoted text -

Exactly! Just too many open questions.

The OP has not posted sufficiently concise information to make a
complete conclusion. In other words the OP may not be knowledgeable
enough to ask; let alone complete the work safely and in accordance
with code.

That's often a problem with these "If I did this ..... " questions.
We, trying to help, are all asking more questions, perhaps jumping to
or postulating reasonable conclusions and/or saying "If this, or If
that .... ."

Still think for safety and insurance purposes the OP needs to consult
a 'knowledgeable' electrician; not just some Joe around the corner who
'says they know what they are doing' (and by the way I am not a
licensed electrician so this is not a comment protecting an
association or anything!).

Electricity around pools should not be taken lightly! There are
several ways to arrange things that would 'work'; but whether safe or
satisfactory to insurance or electrical codes ....... ?????