Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default windows replacement

On Nov 20, 12:27 am, wrote:
I just got an estimate for replacing the old aluminum widows on my
house in Tucson, and I am still in shock. It runs about $1500 per
average-size window--installed. I have adequate experience in doing
the installation, but I am wondering about where I could get good-
quality vynil double-bane replacements. Would Lowes and HD be the
places to look at? Thanks.

Obviously it's hard to refute that price without knowing a number of
details regarding what needs to be done to get your old windows out
and the new ones in, but $1500 *per* seems a tad high. I went to a
contractor's supply house and bought better windows than you can get
through Lowes or HD and paid roughly $200 each, on average.
Installation was "easy", considering there was not a lot of exterior
trim work, although I did go above and behind what a contractor would
have done with the trim.

I'd really like to know what you are getting for $1500 *per* - both in
the quality of window and the labor involved.