Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garage door chime or buzzer

On Nov 20, 9:17 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My parents house, the garage door opener turns on a light. Dad put a power
tap in. Ran a cord off the light socket, and put a light inside the house.

--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"car crash" wrote in message

I'm looking at getting some type of device or alarm or something that
when a garage door is opened it makes a sound inside the house to
notify whoever is inside that someone has opened the garage. We don't
have an alarm system. In short our garage doors are really quiet and
we can't hear if anyone opens them and comes in. Has anyone ever
heard of a device, be it electrical or cellular that can make a noise
or a chime or ring inside the house when the garage door is
activated ? If so, where and how much ?
Thanks.

A tap off of the light would power something for about 4 minutes at my
house, which might not be enough for the OP to notice that it was on.
Any type of buzzer would be pretty annoying if it stay on the entire
time the door was open - at least at my house where the door might be
open for hours.

I think the middle ground would be a tap off the motor power that
sounded a buzzer while the door was in motion. Couple that with a
light that stayed on constantly while the door was open and you'd have
the best off both worlds.