Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

On Nov 20, 1:58 am, Tool wrote:
I have a 220 volt line that powers my pool pump. I want to run 110
volt lights near the pool pump and would like to convert 220 to 110.
Is this as simple as taking the 220 wires, and connecting only one hot
wire side with the common wire and ground wire to a standard 110 volt
outlet?

Suggestion: If all you need is a convenience light 'near' the pool it
may be possible to use a transformer. The transformer would convert/
step down the 220 to 110 volts to feed a conventional lamp. A
transformer for say 100 watts would not be too expensive or large. The
metal frame of such a transformer and the box it is mounted in should
be grounded for safety. The output of the transformer could have
switch to control the light. But again everything should be wired/
mounted in standard way to conform with approved electrical safety and
insurance practices.