Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

On Nov 20, 1:58 am, Tool wrote:
I have a 220 volt line that powers my pool pump. I want to run 110
volt lights near the pool pump and would like to convert 220 to 110.
Is this as simple as taking the 220 wires, and connecting only one hot
wire side with the common wire and ground wire to a standard 110 volt
outlet?

No: You cannot safely use the ground as one side of an electrical
circuit! Especially in the vicinity of a pool electrical safety is
extremely important. Also non standard wiring might invalidate any
liability insurance, if discovered, even if an an accident did not
occur.

The use of ground as one side of a circuit, even an electrical cooking
stove, is not standard or approved in any jurisdictions that anyone
with an electrical background is aware.

The ground wire is there to safely connect items to ground and prevent
electrical shock and/death 'in the event of a fault condition'. Under
normal no-fault conditions the ground wire does not carry any
electrical current.

Suggest you get someone competent and probably licensed, to reduce you
r liability for something dangerous. Also suggest that the circuit you
are proposing be equipped through a GFI, either an outlet or GFI type
circuit breaker. This may be mandated by regulation anyway in your
jurisdiction.

Respectfully suggest that anyone asking that question in that manner
does not have the knowledge to safely do such work. Yes; it might
work, the lights may come on an everything 'appear' to be OK until
something happens! With any electricty in or near a pool make sure
someone present knows CPR.

Also depending on regulations in your jurisdiction it likely may not
be legal to connect pumps and lights to the same fuse/circuit breaker.
many of these items may seem onerous but they make sense and in some
ways are to protect us from ourselves.