Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default There is no single toggle switch plate for a double gang box?

You're not listening well. We all think that your switch is
installed on your cover, not your box. If this is so, you will
need to buy an extension ring to allow you to mount the switch to
the box. When you do this, the switch will be on one side, not
the center.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have an exterior brick wall with a metal double gang box
(why I don't
know). It has a square metal cover plate (one that is made of
the same
material as the box itself). However, all the other switch
covers around
that wall are white so I am trying to find one but I searched
and searched
and finally concluded they don't make a single toggle swicth
for a double
gang box? or was I looking in the wrong place? There has to
be one
somewhere?

I am guessing that you currently have a 4" square surface cover
on the box.
Remove that and install a one gang mud ring. They come in
several different
depths including flat. Home Depot usually only has one or two
depths, but
an electrical supply company will have more choices. You can
then install a
regular switch plate on the switch. If you need a wide cover
you can
special order a double width single toggle wallplate (Not an
oversize
wallplate) which is a two gang wall plate with the toggle
opening in the
middle. Go to an electrical supply company and ask if they
have a Mulberry
wall plate catalog that you can look at.

I considered that. However the wall is an exterior concrete
wall with special textured stucco which is difficult to match.
This is the reason I did not want to change it to a single gang
box because then I have to find a way to redo the special
textured stucco about an inch on both sides.

I called around a few electrical supply houses locally and they
told me they don't have a double width plate with a single
toggle in the middle. I will keep trying thanks!

MC