Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pbright@winfordeng.com is offline

Default Cleaning Sump Pump Pit

I do not absolutely know for sure, but it probably goes out to the
field tile in the field behind my house.

On Nov 18, 6:56 pm, "EXT" wrote:
Do you know where it discharges to?

wrote in message

Ah, now I feel just a bit foolish. I really don't have any reason to
think that thesumppumpis tied into the septic system. It probably
is not. I was not thinking too hard on that one. Thanks for the
advice and the information.

On Nov 18, 11:22 am, "EXT" wrote:
Agreed. No foundation drainagesumpshould be pumped into a septic tank.
All
it will do is flood the tank.

Is what the OP talking about a sewage pit with apumpto overhead lines to
the septic tank? This would be for sinks, tub, shower and/or toilet that
cannot drain normally to the septic tank. In this case don't waste your
time
opening it up and adding bleach.

wrote in message

On Nov 18, 8:59 am, professorpaul wrote:
Bleach is nothing more than a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It
frees up oxygen, which destroys the bacteria. Since sodium
hyperchlorite is pretty unstable, it eventually ends up as sodium
chloride, common table salt. In the quantities you use, it is not
going to do any harm at all. Go to it...

A related question is why is yoursumppumphooked into your septic
system instead of just discharging somewhere above ground? Putting
excess ground water into a septic system isn't a good idea.