Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Sump Pump Pit

Hello,
I would like to clean out my sump pump pit since there is who-
knows-what down there (mold, bacteria, whatever). Some folks
recommend pouring a gallon of bleach in there, but I'm not sure about
that. Neglecting any safety concerns for humans, what would this do
to my septic tank? Would this kill the bacteria in my septic
system?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello,
I would like to clean out my sump pump pit since there is who-
knows-what down there (mold, bacteria, whatever). Some folks
recommend pouring a gallon of bleach in there, but I'm not sure about
that. Neglecting any safety concerns for humans, what would this do
to my septic tank? Would this kill the bacteria in my septic
system?
Thanks.

All you need is about a 1/4 cup in a gallon of water and that won't harm the
septic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bleach is nothing more than a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It
frees up oxygen, which destroys the bacteria. Since sodium
hyperchlorite is pretty unstable, it eventually ends up as sodium
chloride, common table salt. In the quantities you use, it is not
going to do any harm at all. Go to it...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 8:59 am, professorpaul wrote:
Bleach is nothing more than a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It
frees up oxygen, which destroys the bacteria. Since sodium
hyperchlorite is pretty unstable, it eventually ends up as sodium
chloride, common table salt. In the quantities you use, it is not
going to do any harm at all. Go to it...

A related question is why is your sump pump hooked into your septic
system instead of just discharging somewhere above ground? Putting
excess ground water into a septic system isn't a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Agreed. No foundation drainage sump should be pumped into a septic tank. All
it will do is flood the tank.

Is what the OP talking about a sewage pit with a pump to overhead lines to
the septic tank? This would be for sinks, tub, shower and/or toilet that
cannot drain normally to the septic tank. In this case don't waste your time
opening it up and adding bleach.

wrote in message
On Nov 18, 8:59 am, professorpaul wrote:
Bleach is nothing more than a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It
frees up oxygen, which destroys the bacteria. Since sodium
hyperchlorite is pretty unstable, it eventually ends up as sodium
chloride, common table salt. In the quantities you use, it is not
going to do any harm at all. Go to it...

A related question is why is your sump pump hooked into your septic
system instead of just discharging somewhere above ground? Putting
excess ground water into a septic system isn't a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, now I feel just a bit foolish. I really don't have any reason to
think that the sump pump is tied into the septic system. It probably
is not. I was not thinking too hard on that one. Thanks for the
advice and the information.

wrote in message

On Nov 18, 8:59 am, professorpaul wrote:
Bleach is nothing more than a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It
frees up oxygen, which destroys the bacteria. Since sodium
hyperchlorite is pretty unstable, it eventually ends up as sodium
chloride, common table salt. In the quantities you use, it is not
going to do any harm at all. Go to it...

A related question is why is yoursumppumphooked into your septic
system instead of just discharging somewhere above ground? Putting
excess ground water into a septic system isn't a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do not absolutely know for sure, but it probably goes out to the
field tile in the field behind my house.

wrote in message

On Nov 18, 8:59 am, professorpaul wrote:
Bleach is nothing more than a solution of sodium hyperchlorite. It
frees up oxygen, which destroys the bacteria. Since sodium
hyperchlorite is pretty unstable, it eventually ends up as sodium
chloride, common table salt. In the quantities you use, it is not
going to do any harm at all. Go to it...

A related question is why is yoursumppumphooked into your septic
system instead of just discharging somewhere above ground? Putting
excess ground water into a septic system isn't a good idea.

Sump Pump Clunk After Backup Pump Install [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 19th 07 05:18 PM
Sump Pump 538$ m Ransley Home Repair 8 March 27th 06 07:29 PM
Sump pump float switch: separate from pump? Marc_G Home Repair 4 January 15th 06 09:46 PM
Sump Pump vs. No Sump Pump (Questions) BroJack Home Repair 4 September 5th 04 06:56 PM
Specify/Install Sump Pit and Sump Pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 November 26th 03 03:59 PM