Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Wall Switch Timer leaks????

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:17:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I replaced a regular 2-way indoor switch that switches my outdoor
patio incandescent light on/off with a timer switch.

I followed the instructions and the timer works fine, The problem is
that when the timer switch is in the off position, the patio light
flickers
(with a very low light).

I bought another timer switch of a different brand, and the same
thing happens. Does it mean that all timer switches leak?

Both timer switches have a programmable electronic clock,
and use the same external wiring (black wire, blue wire,
red wire, ground/bare wire).

There is one thing. The regular 2-way switch did not use
the ground wire, it connected only two black wires.
The wiring behind the switch uses two 3-wire cables,
each cable has one black wire, one white wire, and one
bare wire. The white wires and bare wires are tied together,
and only the black wires go through the 2-way switch.
However, I did connect the bare wire from the timer switch
to the bare wires from the cables as the instructions
stated.

The 120v wall timer I have for my outdoor accent lighting goes through
an outdoor transformer. If I disconnect the transformer, the wall
timer loses its memory and must be reprogrammed. Once set, it works
well until we have a power outage. The timer uses a little power to
drive the clock.