Posted to alt.home.repair
shebaaa[_2_] shebaaa[_2_] is offline

Default Should I get permit to finish basement

car crash wrote:
I want to finish my basement....I'm putting up 2 walls and some
electrical. I realize that by law I'm suppose to get a permit but
lots of people are telling me not to even bother. It will increase my
taxes substantially and that's about it.
Someone was telling me that in Ottawa about 50% don't get permits to
finish their basements.

Where I live they changed the rules a few years back. Inside an
existing home they don't care what you do, but if you make a change
that effects the outside and in excess of $1,500 a permit is needed.

If it is required then you probably should.