Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Should I get permit to finish basement

This depends largely on rules and regulations in your local area. Where I
work, as an electrical contractor, many people don't want that sort of job
filed, generally for the tax reason. They do have to get it all legalized
when they go to sell the house, but more often then not, they save a pile of
money if they've lived in the house another ten years or so.

car crash" wrote in message
I want to finish my basement....I'm putting up 2 walls and some
electrical. I realize that by law I'm suppose to get a permit but
lots of people are telling me not to even bother. It will increase my
taxes substantially and that's about it.
Someone was telling me that in Ottawa about 50% don't get permits to
finish their basements.