Posted to alt.home.repair
Cadbury's Finest Cadbury's Finest is offline

Default Should I get permit to finish basement

wrote in message
On Nov 18, 4:34?pm, car crash wrote:
I want to finish my basement....I'm putting up 2 walls and some
electrical. ? I realize that by law I'm suppose to get a permit but
lots of people are telling me not to even bother. ?It will increase my
taxes substantially and that's about it.
Someone was telling me that in Ottawa about 50% don't get permits to
finish their basements.

might cause hassles when its time to sell. definetely add ingress
egress windows, a brite space with windows adds more value than a
dungeon

Depends on who you sell your house to - someone planning to take up
kidnapping would prefer a windowless room.

We once viewed an extended bungalow in the UK where the owner had created a
central bedroom (surrounded on all sides by other rooms) without a window -
not even borrowed light from adjacent rooms.

We speculated quite a bit on the uses to which such a room could be put