Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Investigating telephone extension

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:34:44 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, Hugo
Nebula abuse@localhost randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Please bear with me: My ADSL router is connected via an extension
from the BT master socket in the hall. The distance to the exchange
is high and I've never got a particularly good connection, but it's
been acceptable at 1Mbps. I'm with UKOnline/Easynet LLU.

...Does this indicate that the problem is likely to be on
the BT/LLU side of things? If not, how can I test the quality of my
internal wiring?

Have just done a good couple of hours plugging routers, USBs, filters,
etc in all kinds of holes in all possible permutations. The
conclusion is this; the problem is somewhere between the test socket
and the socket on the faceplate.

I get the full 1Mbps speed test when connected via a USB or router,
with or without filter into the test socket, but anything plugged into
the faceplate socket drops to ~850kbps, and out of the 8 speed tests,
four timed out and the remainder got between 400-600kbps.

Can I replace part of this master socket? If BT do it, will they
charge (and roughly how much)? Do I go through my ISP or BT?

Yes, and the recieved wisdom is that a filtering faceplate is the best
of all.

Try some contact spray on what you have first as well.