Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power cable thickness q:

On Nov 18, 8:29 am, John Smith wrote:
What kind of cable should I use to connect seven 50 W light. The cable draw power
from a 10A supply.

One thing I do not understand is that I have to use pretty thick wire but table
lamps have thin cables. What's the story here?

If this is a typical house wiring job, say to install some ceiling
lights in a dining room, then 14 gauge Romex is what would typically
be used. But it can also depend on the location and other details of
the install. Since this circuit is only 10amp, it must be fairly old
wiring.

The cable for 7 lights has to be a heavier gauge than the wire for one
table lamp because it must support the load of 7 lights, not just one.