Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Lubrication of an old motor

the kerosene thing is mentioned in the service manual for my 1938 plymouth -
as I recall, add, idle, drain, and refil with regular oil - no longer
practiced, we have detergents in oil.

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Ed, it's always humorous to see the many distorted interpretations of a
useful tip.

I've heard that a flush with kero can help remove the remaining dirty oil
during an oil change, and seems entirely sensible. After the dirty oil is
drained, a quart-or-so of kero is poured in and runs out the drain hole.

How this would get to the point of running an engine, and driving the car
for several days is beyond comprehension.

I could possibly see how some folks might add a quart of kero, after
removing a quart of dirty oil, and operate the vehicle for a short time,
in an attempt to try to remove built-up deposits or gummy residues before
an oil change.

The most reasonable one I've heard was to add a quart of Rislone after
removing a quart of dirty oil, and operate the vehicle for maybe (as much
as) a couple of hundred miles, for additional internal cleaning, prior to
an oil change.

I don't do any of the above anymore.. what ever comes out when the plug is
removed is replaced with fresh oil, plus enough for the new filter.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Lamp oil is good. That will kill a bearing pretty quick, like the time a
high school friend of mine decided to clean out the crap in the sump of a
Chevy V8 that he bought by running kerosene in the crankcase for a couple
of days. It made quite a smell when it fried.

--
Ed Huntress