Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Lubrication of an old motor

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:54:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Wild_Bill" quickly quoth:

Ed, it's always humorous to see the many distorted interpretations of a
useful tip.

I've heard that a flush with kero can help remove the remaining dirty oil
during an oil change, and seems entirely sensible. After the dirty oil is
drained, a quart-or-so of kero is poured in and runs out the drain hole.

How this would get to the point of running an engine, and driving the car
for several days is beyond comprehension.

I could possibly see how some folks might add a quart of kero, after
removing a quart of dirty oil, and operate the vehicle for a short time, in
an attempt to try to remove built-up deposits or gummy residues before an
oil change.

The most reasonable one I've heard was to add a quart of Rislone after
removing a quart of dirty oil, and operate the vehicle for maybe (as much
as) a couple of hundred miles, for additional internal cleaning, prior to an
oil change.

I don't do any of the above anymore.. what ever comes out when the plug is
removed is replaced with fresh oil, plus enough for the new filter.

Having seen several pounds of sludge come off the interior of an old
engine and completely plug/foul the oil filter (which opened the pump
bypass, putting crud in the bearings) I recommend against any of the
above. I don't think the guy ever changed oil, just added when it was
low. Anyway, bearings do NOT like the crunchy gunk and get loud when
it's run past their surfaces. When we pulled the rocker covers, there
was a quarter inch of caked crap still on them, and the oil pan was
half full of solids which melted off the block. 35 years later, I
still wonder how that engine ever ran.

Use a good detergent oil (my fave is Castrol GTX) and leave whatever
crud is on the walls of the engine where they are. If you want to
remove crud, overhaul the engine.

WD-40 is not a lubricant, nor is straight STP. Use oil instead.

--
After all, it is those who have a deep and real inner life who
are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life.